5.15.2007

Musical Atrocities (Day 14)

First, I was serving a drink to a couple of asian girls, when I noticed one was wearing a Rolling Stones tongue logo T-Shirt. As I'm a fan of the band, I commented that I liked the shirt. The girl said thanks, and when I asked her, "are you a fan?", she said, "um, I just thought the shirt was cool."

I'm all for fashion, but I can't stand poseurs. I compare this to my store manager talking of a time when everyone walking around New York wore a Yankees cap because they were at the top. If you're really a fan - great, but quite jumping on the bandwagon. Quit wearing clothes for teams, bands or stores you don't actually support because it looks "cool." Real cool comes from not having to think about it, but doing it naturally. I might wear nice things and like to shop, but once I'm out of the shower it still only takes me twelve minutes to get ready. Find your own style - don't fake someone else's.

Which leads me to the next atrocity...

I was talking to Kayla (a co-worker), and I mentioned that I was happy to be able to hear Tom Waits on our music system at work, to which Kayla responded, "who's Tom Waits?"

"You've...never...heard...Tom Waits?", I questioned, and she affirmed with a "Nope. What's he like?"

It took me a minute,but i eventually told her that if you walked into a bar in New Orleans and saw someone leading a band through blues-rock, old-time, and 1940's piano music, all based on the darker side of life,and sung with a voice like that of Louis Armstrong - that would be Tom Waits. Kayla said she thought it sounded interesting, and I told her I'd play some for her sometime because she needs ot hear it. After work I went home and made a sort of "Tom Waits' Greatest Hits" playlist that I'll eventually burn for her.

Sadly, I haven't figured out to post mp3's on my blog yet (if anyone knows, please tell me). If you're like Kayla and don't know who Tomm Waits is, go to Google or You Tube and search him (note: "Tom Waits Live" works well in You Tube), you won't regret it.