5.25.2007

Eight Months (Night 24)

Apologies for not posting this earlier. In all honesty, my last few days have been taken up by thoughts of what at was the impending LOST season finale. A few days back I found a summary of the episode online and read it without knowing if it was accurate or not. In the day or so that followed, I literally lost sleep over what I had read wondering if it were true and what would happen in that case. As it turned out, what I read was true, yet, knowing the outcome of the episode as it was unfolding didn't stop the roller coaster ride of emotions I was put through.

I realize that to most people it sounds insane to lose sleep over what's going to happen inside the lives of fictional characters, but at the moment, LOST is one of two shows I regularly watch (the other being the always enjoyable, yet formulaic House, MD). It's been a show full of good sotry telling with one (maybe two) not so good episodes in it's three season long history, and personally as it holds a place in my heart as the show I've watched with friends, called my sister afterwards to discuss plot points, and even had a relationship end after one season finale, I feel connected to it in some way. I am compelled to see this show through to the end.

Last nite's season finale was jarring, and left me with the feeling that I should call the person responsible for introducing me to the show and say, "So, I know we don't talk anymore, and I hated you for a long time, but this is important - this is LOST." I refrained, however, and am now in the beginning stages of an eight month wait for next season to begin. This got me thinking about eight things that will have happend in eight months:

1) In eight months I'll have experienced Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years in New York.

2) In eight months at least one friend will have given birth to her second child.

3) In eight months I'll have gone back to Pittsburgh for my first visit since I've left.

4) In eight months I'll have gone to Boston to see two close friends who will return from Europe.

5) In eight months I'll be 27.

6) In eight months I'll have been living in New York for nine.

7) In eight months it will have been a little over 19 since I'll have taken a college class.

8) In eight months it will have been over a year since I "left" working for a bank.

There are events coming up in my life, then, that will no doubt distract me from next season's start. Still, you can bet I'll be checking spoiler sites and message boards, and contemplating picking up the phone to rekindle a - ahem - lost friendship.