5.07.2007

Day Eight

9:10am - I roll intot he temp agency a few minutes later than i wanted to and say hi to Christine, the girl who works the desk there. She tells me about an electronic music show her friend from Juliard put on for a class project over the weekend. Jesus, she's cute, and I wish I culd find free elctronic music shows to go to. I take my "ProveIt" test - which, aside from the part about Microsoft Word, sucks ass.

10:55am - During my testing session I received a call from the store manager at Starbuck's, so as I finish up, I begin calling him back. He tells me I got a great recommendation from my old store in Pittsburgh (thanks, Jocelyn!), and offers me my shift supervisor position back at his store. The only let down is that he's not sure how much he's paying me yet, as he needs approval from his bosses ot pay me at a higher rate based on my experience. We discuss my schedule, and my first day is tomorrow (Tuesday) from 2pm to 9:30pm.

12:02pm - I meet up with Josh to hang out on his break and deliver the good news. We discover that it was exactly 6 days and 19 hours that I was jobless in New York City - pretty good, we think.

2:56pm - Getting ready to leave the Border's at MSG, I hear the following conversation:

Middle-aged man (to couple): "...now this - this is one of my favorite records."
Male part of couple: "Oh, yeah?"
Middle-aged man: "Yeah, the Clash, man. London Calling is just so great. I mean, you know, the Clash didn't get boring as they got older, you know? Most bands get boring as they get older - they all do. They're all boring now. (pause). Well, I mean, other than U2. They haven't' gotten boring yet."

3:35pm - While taking the R train into the Village to meet up with Joe, Laurel - a cute, petite, 19 year old Columbia University student - sits down next to me and strikes up a conversation with me after conferring with me about the destination of the train. As it turns out, she's thinking of becoming a literature major with a possible double in theater. I immediately wish her well in her Starbuck's career path.

Laurel is originally from California, where she tells me she's heading back to later in the week just before I can ask her to join Joe and I for a cup of coffee. We shake hands and part ways and wish each other well.

I need to stop meeting women on the subway...

4:01pm - I meet up with Joe and after a a slight issue at a local Chase Bank, and overhearing a strange phone call between he and his ex (who is also my friend) - wherein it comes out that she and a bunch of people Joe and I know in Pittsburgh decided to go and get fucked up on a bunch of blow last nite - we grab a couple of Iced Lattes and a (stale) soft pretzel and sit around talking and people (girl) watching at the NYU fountain in Washington Square.

5:21pm - Joe and I start walking towards Union Square where he meets up with his girlfriend (Anya).

Now, Joe had told me about how his girlfriend was a hot, blond, 29 year old, Polish, London model turned lawyer. He even showed me a picture the other nite when I was visiting him. No disrespect to my best friend, but none of that prepared me for just how incredibly hot his girlfriend actually is.

I spend a minute or two being introduced and having my past few days summarized to Anya, and then Joe and she head out to a Peruvian restaurant for their last date before Joe goes to Spain for a week to visit his family. I head down the steps to the subway and catch a Q train back to Brooklyn where Josh, Cait and I have an uneventful evening.