5.21.2007

Making Movies About Working On The Railroad (Day 22)

To start, I'd like ot thank all of you who have been commenting on Year One. In the three weeks I've been in New York, I've had some friends and family members comment, but in the last few days I've received comments from people I don't believe I know. Whether you've gotten the blog address from a friend, a slip of paper that was lost in NYC, or from my mother - thanks for reading and thanks for leaving feedback.

I've also decided that as I reference music a bit, I need to find out how to post mp3's on a blog. If anyone knows how to do this, please contact me so you can learn me somethin' new!

The other day I wrote about riding the subway with my mp3 player on and noticing how the visuals matched the music. Then yesterday I wrote about the gentleman who asked the train car for money. Today on my way home from work, a different gentleman than the one who boarded yesterday's train came aboard and started asking for money. While this man didn't go as in depth as yesterday's panhandling passenger, he seemed as thankful, earnest and humble about his collection.

The reason I mentioned the mp3 posting above is because the song playing on my mp3 player at the time of the man coming aboard was Coldplay's "Politik." It's hard to explain what the visuals were like without having the song accessible, but if you can, try to imagine a man coming aboard a train and asking the passengers on the car for help from anyone who can offer it as Chris Martin's ethereal, brit-pop vocals begin to sing "Look at earth from outer space/Everyone must find a place..."

If nothing else, I suppose it made me go all idealistic for a moment and gave me an idea for a video.