5.09.2007

Day Nine

11:01am - I get out of bed later than I wanted to, text Joe to tell him that I'll be in the city around noon if he wants to grab lunch before he goes to Spain. I grab some breakfast, check my e-mail, and as it's my first day working at Starbuck's, I decide to forgo the shower figuring I'll be smelling of stale espresso by the time I get back to Josh's apartment.

11:35am - I leave the apartment and call Joe, who hasn't returned my text. It turns out he's sleeping, so we decide that we'll hang out when he gets back from Spain. I text Josh and let him know I'll be in the city if he wants to hang out on his break.

12:17pm - I arrive outisde of Josh's work and we han gout for a few minutes before he goes back to work. Not having much to do, I meander up 7th Ave. figuring I'll grab lunch somewhere.

12:43pm - I go into the Subway (restaurant) on 7th and get in line. Subway's are virtually the same in NEW York, except that you don't stand around deciding what you want or else the workers will proalby skip you. I go with Turkey on wheat and progress through the line

1:05pm - Upon leaving Subway, I begin walking further up 7th Ave. Julie send me a tet message from Pittsburgh telling me she's bored. I give her a call and proceed to tell her about some of the craziness that is New York City. I continue walking until I'm in Times Square, which then gives me more things to talk to her about. She's one of my closest friends, so it's great to talk to her. I tell her I miss her and love her and start walking back down 7th to my first day of work at Starbuck's.

1:55pm - I arrive for my first shift at Starbuck's. As expected, everyone I work with is super cool, and the store single-handedly changes my opinion aobut being attracted to black women, as I would sleep with any and all of the black women I work with.

One person I have fun getting to know is a girl named Amy. It's actually kind of sad, because her last day is near, but towards the end of the nite Amy the red-headed theater geek and I talk about the Beatles, how much we hate Times Square and how much myspace comes in handy.

10:07pm - I head down the stairs to the 34th St. subway stop and wait for a Q train. I see my first New York City rat scampering about the train ttracks. I name him NYCky. I'm not sure if the Q train ran over him, or if he made it to safety in time. If not, R.I.P. NYCky.

10:55pm - I get back to the apartment in time for the Daily Show. I'm dead tired, and around midnite, I decide to crash.